- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Speak Out 11/30/09
*** King of the Jungle
CENTRAL High School has some serious priority evaluation to do. "Illegal" senior shirts were made declaring "We Are the Real Kings." Over 100 students purchased them and wore the shirts to school. Assistant principals were forcing students to turn the shirts inside out and threatened them with disciplinary action. Multiple e-mails were sent telling teachers to be on the lookout for any sign of the shirts. Why? Because they supposedly targeted a junior, the reigning King of the Jungle. A junior has never been king. It broke tradition and skipped the current senior class. That individual stated that he did not have a problem with the shirts. So what was the issue? Is it about the money not being made from the official senior shirts? There is not any profanity or gang signs on the shirts. The administration made a mountain out of a molehill.
*** Shattered Oscar
MICHAEL Moore's leftist documentaries go to the big screen and bring in big bucks. "Tea Party: The Documentary" is going straight to DVD. This is unfair and blatant discrimination against right-wing tea partiers. As a disclaimer, part of my complaint is based on my cameo appearance in "Tea Party" and my apparently dashed hopes that I will be nominated for an Academy Award.
*** Warming conspiracy
NEWLY released data and e-mails from the Climate Research Unit in England reveal a conspiracy to promote the global warming hoax and a cover-up of their failing efforts. It has been described as the greatest scandal in modern science. This should mean the end of their moneymaking and job-killing schemes like cap-and-tax. The whistle blower that exposed these lies deserves the thanks of everyone.
*** Madison's view
"FROM this view of the subject, it may be concluded, that a pure Democracy, by which I mean a society, consisting of a small number of citizens, who assemble and administer the Government in person, can admit no cure for the mischiefs of factions. ... Hence it is, that such Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found 'incompatible' with 'personal security' and the 'rights of property' ... and have in general been as short in their lives, as they have been violent in their deaths. Theoretic politicians, who have patronized this species of government, have 'erroneously' supposed, that by reducing mankind to a perfect equality in their political rights, they would, at the same time, be perfectly equalized and assimilated in their possessions, their opinions, and their passions." -- James Madison, The Federalist X.
*** The consequences
WHEN we think of the past, we forget the fools and remember the sage. We reverse the process for our own time, elevating the fools to highest office, joining the chorus of "We have no God but Caesar" and ignoring the sage's prophecy of the consequence of our choices.