- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)36
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Area digest 3/23/05
Mack races to win in Poplar Bluff opener
Joey Mack of Benton, Mo., won the season-opening feature race at Poplar Bluff Speedway on Saturday night.
Starting from the fourth position, Mack took the lead and then sprinted away on a restart following a caution with two laps to go. He earned $1,200 for the victory.
Mack's tentative schedule will have him running at Poplar Bluff on Saturday, Memphis Motorsports Park on April 1 and Poplar Bluff on April 2 before the Mid America Racing Series opening weekend event April 8 in Memphis, April 9 in West Plains and April 10 in Monett.
Kohlfeld Scorpions topSMRFC in St. Louis
The Kohlfeld Scorpions won their Missouri Cup rugby opener 41-22 against SMRFC on Sunday at Forest Park in St. Louis.
Scott Johnson scored three times and Alan Kloss scored twice for the Scorpions. Marc Harris and Josh Goodrich each scored once, Kevin Tucker provided three point-after kicks.
Johnson was named the offensive player of the match while Jeremy Mabrey was the defensive player of the match.
The Scorpions will host the Southern Illinois University Barbarians and the St. Louis Hornets beginning at noon Saturday at Arena Park.
Cardinals Game Day set for May 8
The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department, in conjunction with KZIM-960, will have its fifth annual St. Louis Cardinals Game Day on May 8. The trip to Busch Stadium for the 1:15 p.m. game with the San Diego Padres will cost $19 per ticket and an additional $18 for those planning to ride on the charter bus. Each ticket includes a voucher for a hot dog and a soda at the game. The Cardinals promotion is women's fitness bag day at the ballpark, and all women 16 and over will receive a free fitness bag. For info, call Jared at 335-5421.
Special Olympics meet is April 9
The Southeast Area Special Olympics track meet will take place April 9 at Central Junior High School's track complex. The meet begins with opening ceremonies at 10 a.m., and track events begin at 10:30 a.m.
The Southeast Area serves more than 1,150 athletes from a 19-county region. Those interested in volunteering can call Penny Williams, Southeast Area Management Team, at 334-2859.