- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)18
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
Help children through Toybox
As we enter into another holiday season, the Jaycees are busy preparing for the 2009 Toybox project. For many years, we have been collecting and distributing toys to children in the area. Delivering to families in need is such a tremendous experience, seeing smiles across the faces of little ones and sighs of relief from the parents. Knowing that we can make a difference and keep Christmas in the homes of our families in need is a great feeling as we celebrate the holidays in our own homes.
With the recent and past struggles in the economy, we have a greater need than ever. Last year we serviced more than 1,600 children in more than 600 homes in Cape Girardeau. We anticipate a continued trend of greater need and fewer donations. Though times are difficult for us all these days, I ask you -- I challenge you -- to reach out and contribute to this project. Make a difference to a child.
There will be boxes going out to locations around town in the next week for toy collection. A list of specific locations will be available in the Southeast Missourian soon. Monetary donations can be dropped off at the Southeast Missourian on Broadway or mailed to: Cape Jaycee Toybox, P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, MO 63702.
Thank you for your continued support for the Toybox. Every year I am amazed at the generosity of our community.
TRACY HAGGERTY, Cape Girardeau Jaycee Toybox Chair