- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Marble Hill man accused of beating, kidnapping woman (6/27/17)
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Business notebook: Man's cheesecake whim becomes a full-time vocation (6/26/17)
Help children through Toybox
As we enter into another holiday season, the Jaycees are busy preparing for the 2009 Toybox project. For many years, we have been collecting and distributing toys to children in the area. Delivering to families in need is such a tremendous experience, seeing smiles across the faces of little ones and sighs of relief from the parents. Knowing that we can make a difference and keep Christmas in the homes of our families in need is a great feeling as we celebrate the holidays in our own homes.
With the recent and past struggles in the economy, we have a greater need than ever. Last year we serviced more than 1,600 children in more than 600 homes in Cape Girardeau. We anticipate a continued trend of greater need and fewer donations. Though times are difficult for us all these days, I ask you -- I challenge you -- to reach out and contribute to this project. Make a difference to a child.
There will be boxes going out to locations around town in the next week for toy collection. A list of specific locations will be available in the Southeast Missourian soon. Monetary donations can be dropped off at the Southeast Missourian on Broadway or mailed to: Cape Jaycee Toybox, P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, MO 63702.
Thank you for your continued support for the Toybox. Every year I am amazed at the generosity of our community.
TRACY HAGGERTY, Cape Girardeau Jaycee Toybox Chair