- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)5
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Help children through Toybox
As we enter into another holiday season, the Jaycees are busy preparing for the 2009 Toybox project. For many years, we have been collecting and distributing toys to children in the area. Delivering to families in need is such a tremendous experience, seeing smiles across the faces of little ones and sighs of relief from the parents. Knowing that we can make a difference and keep Christmas in the homes of our families in need is a great feeling as we celebrate the holidays in our own homes.
With the recent and past struggles in the economy, we have a greater need than ever. Last year we serviced more than 1,600 children in more than 600 homes in Cape Girardeau. We anticipate a continued trend of greater need and fewer donations. Though times are difficult for us all these days, I ask you -- I challenge you -- to reach out and contribute to this project. Make a difference to a child.
There will be boxes going out to locations around town in the next week for toy collection. A list of specific locations will be available in the Southeast Missourian soon. Monetary donations can be dropped off at the Southeast Missourian on Broadway or mailed to: Cape Jaycee Toybox, P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, MO 63702.
Thank you for your continued support for the Toybox. Every year I am amazed at the generosity of our community.
TRACY HAGGERTY, Cape Girardeau Jaycee Toybox Chair