- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Defensive tackle Ah You injures knee in practice, placed on IR
ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams defensive end C.J. Ah You has been lost for the season with a knee injury.
Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said Thursday that Ah You will be placed on injured reserve -- the ninth Ram this season and the third defensive lineman (Adam Carriker, Gary Gibson). Spagnuolo said Ah You will require surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered during Wednesday's practice.
"Another player stepped on C.J.'s foot and he couldn't get his leg out of there and at the same time, somebody fell on it," Spagnuolo said. "It was freak."
The Rams (1-8) host Arizona (6-3) on Sunday.
Ah You, a seventh-round 2007 draft choice of the Buffalo Bills, earned a spot on the 53-man roster this year after a strong preseason in which he had nine tackles and two sacks along with a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. After being cut by the Bills, Ah You joined the Rams and spent the final six weeks of 2007 and all of 2008 on the practice squad.
"When we first got here, he didn't really surface right away," Spagnuolo said. "He continued to earn playing time. I don't think anybody really knew about him. He was a practice squad guy and was kind of unknown. He earned his way and that's a credit to him."
Ah You has played in eight games this season with one start. He had 18 tackles (13 solo) and a sack.
"Any time you lose a guy like him it's a little bit of a setback," said Ken Flajole, the Rams' defensive coordinator. "That's the nature of our game. People get injured and the next guy steps up. C.J. was doing a great job for us. I'm sick for the kid because he's really making great progress."
Victor Adeyanju, a fourth-round pick in 2006, will move into Ah You's role. Adeyanju played in all 16 games last season and led the defensive lineman with 78 tackles.
"This is a chance for Victor to get in there and play around a little bit," Flajole said. "I'm sure Victor will do a good job for us. He's a diligent young man."
Adeyanju was declared inactive for the first six games but has played in the last three games. Adeyanju said he's ready for more of a role.
"As a player and a competitor, it's been tough," Adeyanju said about his season. "I was obviously down, very down. At one point, I was losing sleep. I don't come here to sit around and not play. ... I'm still here and I still have a chance."