- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- West Park Mall to be closed Thanksgiving (10/14/16)2
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)1
- Man charged after cops try to cuff him in his sleep (10/14/16)9
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
- Mom jailed with daughter after mailing drug to her (10/16/16)
Emerson and the drug companies
U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson's Nov. 13 op-ed column bemoaned the drug companies' influence over health care reform. She claims that Congress is in the pockets of the drug companies, that they are the ones steering reform.
I am not sure how Emerson could do this, considering she herself is in their pockets. In 2003, when the Republican Congress was considering expanding Medicare to prescription drugs, Emerson voted for the legislation, giving the drug companies millions of new customers. With these new customers came new profits, and Emerson saw the profits in the form of campaign contributions.
DAVID MITRANI, Rolla, Mo.