- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)1
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
A message to Washington, D.C.
I am fed up with what's going on in Washington. I'm 83 years old and have lived through many wars and recessions. This administration is doing from within what we fought World War II to prevent. All this spending is to break the people and put all control in government. The government works for us. Remember?
Businesses have cycles and can work their way out of recessions, if left alone, with supply and demand. Badly run businesses that have let unions take control should take bankruptcy or go out of business. Somebody will replace them and give back jobs.
This stimulus package is a farce. What's holding up the money? The next election? Where are the jobs? What will it do for small businesses that supply most jobs? Do you think taxing them more will help? How does funneling money to ACORN, unions and Planned Parenthood help our people?
Cap-and-trade is to gain control of people and businesses.
Leave our health care alone. Open up state lines and let insurance companies compete. Do something about health care liability. Stop treating our doctors like our enemies. The practice of medicine is an art form tailored to each patient. To control our treatment from Washington is asinine. Pay for health care for those who can't afford it, and leave the rest of us alone.
I can't wait to vote.
DRUCILLA AYERS, Cape Girardeau