- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
A message to Washington, D.C.
I am fed up with what's going on in Washington. I'm 83 years old and have lived through many wars and recessions. This administration is doing from within what we fought World War II to prevent. All this spending is to break the people and put all control in government. The government works for us. Remember?
Businesses have cycles and can work their way out of recessions, if left alone, with supply and demand. Badly run businesses that have let unions take control should take bankruptcy or go out of business. Somebody will replace them and give back jobs.
This stimulus package is a farce. What's holding up the money? The next election? Where are the jobs? What will it do for small businesses that supply most jobs? Do you think taxing them more will help? How does funneling money to ACORN, unions and Planned Parenthood help our people?
Cap-and-trade is to gain control of people and businesses.
Leave our health care alone. Open up state lines and let insurance companies compete. Do something about health care liability. Stop treating our doctors like our enemies. The practice of medicine is an art form tailored to each patient. To control our treatment from Washington is asinine. Pay for health care for those who can't afford it, and leave the rest of us alone.
I can't wait to vote.
DRUCILLA AYERS, Cape Girardeau