- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Jackson aldermen delay vote on rezoning residential area
The Jackson Board of Aldermen delayed a vote to rezone property that one day could be used for senior citizen apartments.
During a public hearing Monday developers from RCH Development of Jackson made their case to have three acres of property at the intersection of Oak Hill Road and East Main Street rezoned from residential to commercial use.
However, one resident of Oak Hill Road voiced concerns that if the land were rezoned but the development was not built as planned, it could cause his property value to decrease and undesirable businesses could be constructed near his home.
Janet Sanders, Jackson building and planning superintendent, said that once a property is zoned for commercial use it is open for others uses in the area where it is zoned.
Sanders said regardless of whether the property is rezoned commercial or residential, a 150-foot strip along Oak Hill Road will remain a single-family zone.
In other action, the alderman approved:
* The extension of a contract with Cape Girardeau Area Magnet for one year through Dec. 31, 2010.
* The reappointment of Alderman David Hitt to serve as the city's representative on the Cape Girardeau Area Magnet board of directors for a one-year term beginning Jan. 1.
101 Court St., Jackson, MO