- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)5
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)23
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
National snafus with flu vaccine
We are over 65 and have been attempting to get seasonal flu shots. My doctor does not have the vaccine. We encountered a ridiculous situation at the Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center. Shots supposedly were available from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. We arrived at 9:30 a.m. and were told by people who were leaving that no more shots were available. We returned home, and I called the health department. I found out that 300 shots were available, all of which were allotted to those queued up before 9:30 a.m. The person who answered the phone said there was no way of telling if and when the health department would receive more vaccine.
I haven't any complaints with the local health authorities, but it seems to me the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is sorely lacking. I can understand the problems of the H1N1 vaccine, but it seems ridiculous to have a problem with the distribution of the garden-variety flu vaccine that has been growing in laboratories for months.
If this portends what is to come with a national health plan so eagerly pursued by our president and legislators, our health and well-being are in serious jeopardy. Our government cannot run anything well.
JOHN RUESTER, Cape Girardeau