- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)20
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
GARDEN CLUB DONATION SPARKS VOLUNTEER EFFORT
Members of the Cape Girardeau Garden Club recently decided to donate 200 bulbs to the Missouri Veterans Home. Representatives from the club contacted Harry Bertrand, Jr., the Instructor for Landscaping and Horticulture at the Cape Girardeau Career and Technology Center, looking for volunteers to help with the planting. Bertrand, having been involved in several other volunteer projects at the home, knew that there was currently no place to plant the bulbs. So he, along with students from his morning and afternoon classes, set out to CREATE a place.
What resulted was a complete face lift for the gazebo area near the front entrance to the home. In addition to planting the bulbs, they put in a variety of shrubs and flowers, to provide color throughout the year.
Our thanks to the Garden Club for their thoughtfulness in making the donation, and to all the volunteers who worked so hard to improve the landscape for the Veterans, their families, and the staff to enjoy for many years to come.