- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
GARDEN CLUB DONATION SPARKS VOLUNTEER EFFORT
Members of the Cape Girardeau Garden Club recently decided to donate 200 bulbs to the Missouri Veterans Home. Representatives from the club contacted Harry Bertrand, Jr., the Instructor for Landscaping and Horticulture at the Cape Girardeau Career and Technology Center, looking for volunteers to help with the planting. Bertrand, having been involved in several other volunteer projects at the home, knew that there was currently no place to plant the bulbs. So he, along with students from his morning and afternoon classes, set out to CREATE a place.
What resulted was a complete face lift for the gazebo area near the front entrance to the home. In addition to planting the bulbs, they put in a variety of shrubs and flowers, to provide color throughout the year.
Our thanks to the Garden Club for their thoughtfulness in making the donation, and to all the volunteers who worked so hard to improve the landscape for the Veterans, their families, and the staff to enjoy for many years to come.