- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)10
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Generosity deserves recognition
To the editor:
I would like to acknowledge a local group of students who have demonstrated their willingness to lend support to improving their community in a fun and creative way.
A special note of recognition goes out to the Central High School Student Senate for its generosity in selecting the Safe House for Women to be the recipient of the proceeds from its Mr. CHS competition.
Since 1991, the Safe House for Women has provided emergency shelter to women and children who have found themselves in a situation of domestic violence. Generous donations like that from the student senate provide the grass-roots level of support that allows us to continue our efforts to break the cycle of domestic violence. Thank you, student senate.
LINDA GARNER, executive director, Safe House for Women, Cape Girardeau