- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Cape Central yearbook and newspaper staffs bring home Sweepstakes trophy
The Girardot yearbook staff and The Tiger newspaper staff at Cape Central High School brought home the Sweepstakes trophy at the SEMSPA (Southeast Missouri Student Press Association) Conference and Competition at Southeast Missouri State University last month. Over 400 students and advisers from Southeast Missouri participated and competed in several categories. More than twenty schools were represented.
The Sweepstakes Trophy is awarded to the school with the most combined points for placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in design, photography, and writing competition. The winners from Cape Central were Hillary Caldwell, Current Events, 3rd place; Lindsey Kolb, Write Off Competition, 2nd place; Newspaper First Page Design Layout, 1st place; Newspaper Double Page Spread Layout, 1st place; Yearbook Double Page Spread Layout, 1st place.