- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- West Park Mall to be closed Thanksgiving (10/14/16)2
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)33
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)1
- Man charged after cops try to cuff him in his sleep (10/14/16)9
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
- Mom jailed with daughter after mailing drug to her (10/16/16)
Burden on military volunteers
America used to be the land of the free and home of the brave. Today the U.S. has the distinction of being the land of the criminals and host to the world's largest prison system.
The U.S. has the distinction of being the most abusive to the few truly brave men and women whom we send out to protect us. It seems criminal to me that we can't get beyond an all-volunteer military and begin a draft. A draft would reduce a lot of problems associated with having far too many young men and women with nothing to do except becoming the next generation of criminals.
It is criminal that your son or daughter, who volunteered to do his or her part to keep America safe, not only fought in a war, but, because he or she survived, had to go back again and again. It's not right to expect anyone to be forced to return to the battlefield several times.
Sleep well tonight, America, knowing you could have volunteered or have been drafted.
MAXON ROADS, Jackson