- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
Burden on military volunteers
America used to be the land of the free and home of the brave. Today the U.S. has the distinction of being the land of the criminals and host to the world's largest prison system.
The U.S. has the distinction of being the most abusive to the few truly brave men and women whom we send out to protect us. It seems criminal to me that we can't get beyond an all-volunteer military and begin a draft. A draft would reduce a lot of problems associated with having far too many young men and women with nothing to do except becoming the next generation of criminals.
It is criminal that your son or daughter, who volunteered to do his or her part to keep America safe, not only fought in a war, but, because he or she survived, had to go back again and again. It's not right to expect anyone to be forced to return to the battlefield several times.
Sleep well tonight, America, knowing you could have volunteered or have been drafted.
MAXON ROADS, Jackson