- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Cramped quarters: April 4 proposition aims to ease crowding in Perry County District Schools (3/23/17)4
Speak Out 10/14/09
Reluctant to re-enlist
I am part of a silent majority who will never be heard except for forums like this one in my hometown newspaper. Sadly, if I speak out about my concerns of the coming morally bankrupt policy of ending the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, my concerns would be retaliated against up and down my chain of command. I am a sergeant in the Army. All of my soldiers say they will not re-enlist if the policy is rescinded. Frankly I am afraid that our Army would be decimated. It is sad that we have elected officials who don't care about the ramifications of their actions.
Forgot the reason
THERE are too many crazed fanatics who redouble their efforts when they have forgotten their goal.
But not me
SEND 40,000 more troops to Afghanistan -- 60,000, 100,000. I hear that a lot from civilians in coffee shops in the area served by the Southeast Missourian. What I don't hear is the old saw that war hath no fury like a non-combatant.
FARMERS burn their fields to re-energize them. Burning the field puts nutrients back into them. This is a fairly easy and cheap way for farmers to get natural nutrients and grow their crops. In a period of low economy, people like to save money. The farming business does not have a steady income like a 9-to-5 job, so saving money helps out greatly. I also have severe allergy problems and have dealt with this all my life. We live in an area surrounded by fields that farmers burn. Let them burn them. It's a few hours out of your life that you can stay inside and do some cleaning or catch up on a good book.
OUR president was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize after only 11 days in office, and he has won the prize. Do any of us really believe he accomplished the most to bring peace to the world? His accomplishments after nine months in office are that he has spent three times more money per year than any previous president. What does that have to do with peace?
Time to act
I feel bad for the children coming behind us. They will be the ones getting hurt if we don't do something about it. We are going to have to band together and get our heads out of the sand. In 2010 let's show we mean business when we say enough is enough. You better hear our cries, White House.