- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)2
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- Business notebook: Jackson boutique has regional roots in retail (7/17/17)
Sowers Campaign Announces Strong Fundraising Numbers
Rolla, MO (October 13, 2009) -- Today Tommy Sowers announced that his campaign will report a record $204,510 in campaign contributions for its first quarterly filing on 10/15. A Democratic candidate for Missouri's 8th Congressional District, Sowers officially entered the race just 21 days before the end of the third quarter. This filing exceeds the $146,312 raised in total by the last ten years of challengers to Jo Ann Emerson. Contributions were received from over 400 supporters in 37 states, many of whom are current or former members of the military.
"I'm extremely humbled and grateful for the broad support. We've been working hard, talking to people across the district. Time and again I hear the anger and frustration people feel as they work harder and harder but fall farther and farther behind. Those voices and concerns are at the heart of why I'm running for Congress. They know as I do, that the people of the 8th District deserve better, and we can do better. This strong initial fundraising helps to ensure that my campaign has the resources we need to win. But we can't and won't slow down now. We know it's going to be a long, tough fight. I'm running against an incumbent who is a former insurance lobbyist who has always filled her campaign coffers with plenty of lobbyist dollars."
Missouri Democratic Party Chair Craig Hosmer noted: "This is about the strongest support I've seen for a candidate - first timer or incumbent. These numbers demonstrate peoples' belief that a strong leader who served his country in the US Army is exactly the kind of leader we need to send to Congress to serve his fellow residents in the 8th District."
On September 9th, 2009, Tommy Sowers filed his Statement of Organization with the Federal Election Commission. For more information on the campaign and race, visit www.sowersforcongress.com.