- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)11
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)2
- Area restaurants plan for those observing Lent on Valentine's Day (2/12/18)
Sowers Campaign Announces Strong Fundraising Numbers
Rolla, MO (October 13, 2009) -- Today Tommy Sowers announced that his campaign will report a record $204,510 in campaign contributions for its first quarterly filing on 10/15. A Democratic candidate for Missouri's 8th Congressional District, Sowers officially entered the race just 21 days before the end of the third quarter. This filing exceeds the $146,312 raised in total by the last ten years of challengers to Jo Ann Emerson. Contributions were received from over 400 supporters in 37 states, many of whom are current or former members of the military.
"I'm extremely humbled and grateful for the broad support. We've been working hard, talking to people across the district. Time and again I hear the anger and frustration people feel as they work harder and harder but fall farther and farther behind. Those voices and concerns are at the heart of why I'm running for Congress. They know as I do, that the people of the 8th District deserve better, and we can do better. This strong initial fundraising helps to ensure that my campaign has the resources we need to win. But we can't and won't slow down now. We know it's going to be a long, tough fight. I'm running against an incumbent who is a former insurance lobbyist who has always filled her campaign coffers with plenty of lobbyist dollars."
Missouri Democratic Party Chair Craig Hosmer noted: "This is about the strongest support I've seen for a candidate - first timer or incumbent. These numbers demonstrate peoples' belief that a strong leader who served his country in the US Army is exactly the kind of leader we need to send to Congress to serve his fellow residents in the 8th District."
On September 9th, 2009, Tommy Sowers filed his Statement of Organization with the Federal Election Commission. For more information on the campaign and race, visit www.sowersforcongress.com.