- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Former football players provide leadership training at middle school (9/24/17)
- Cape Girardeau native Jessica Johnston to compete as castaway on 'Survivor' season 35 (9/24/17)
- New businesses popping up all over Cape Girardeau (9/24/17)1
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Sowers Campaign Announces Strong Fundraising Numbers
Rolla, MO (October 13, 2009) -- Today Tommy Sowers announced that his campaign will report a record $204,510 in campaign contributions for its first quarterly filing on 10/15. A Democratic candidate for Missouri's 8th Congressional District, Sowers officially entered the race just 21 days before the end of the third quarter. This filing exceeds the $146,312 raised in total by the last ten years of challengers to Jo Ann Emerson. Contributions were received from over 400 supporters in 37 states, many of whom are current or former members of the military.
"I'm extremely humbled and grateful for the broad support. We've been working hard, talking to people across the district. Time and again I hear the anger and frustration people feel as they work harder and harder but fall farther and farther behind. Those voices and concerns are at the heart of why I'm running for Congress. They know as I do, that the people of the 8th District deserve better, and we can do better. This strong initial fundraising helps to ensure that my campaign has the resources we need to win. But we can't and won't slow down now. We know it's going to be a long, tough fight. I'm running against an incumbent who is a former insurance lobbyist who has always filled her campaign coffers with plenty of lobbyist dollars."
Missouri Democratic Party Chair Craig Hosmer noted: "This is about the strongest support I've seen for a candidate - first timer or incumbent. These numbers demonstrate peoples' belief that a strong leader who served his country in the US Army is exactly the kind of leader we need to send to Congress to serve his fellow residents in the 8th District."
On September 9th, 2009, Tommy Sowers filed his Statement of Organization with the Federal Election Commission. For more information on the campaign and race, visit www.sowersforcongress.com.