- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- 'All Nite Skate' filming in Jackson this weekend (6/8/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
President has earned Nobel
Congratulations to President Obama and to the United States for his receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Shame to those who denigrate the president's achievement and who put politics above patriotism.
The same folks who cheered when the United States did not win the bid to host the Olympics are jeering now. In both instances they are opposed to good things for the country they claim to love.
They miss the point of the Nobel Peace Prize. Many people are saying the president has not achieved enough in so short a time to justify the prize. That is simply not true. What the president has achieved is to turn the United States 180 degrees from aggressive, unilateral action to a position of consultation, diplomacy and interaction with the rest of the world. Because we are the central power in the world, this move, which he has already accomplished, has moved the world closer to peace.
The Nobel Peace Prize has already been earned and has been well-earned.
JOHN L. COOK, Cape Girardeau