- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Woman reports being kidnapped in Cape Girardeau, driven to Illinois and raped
Cape Girardeau police are investigating a kidnapping that reportedly occurred late Wednesday night, said Sgt. Jason Selzer, spokesman for the police department.
The victim told police she had been walking near the 300 block of South Ellis Street at midnight when she was approached by a long-haired man in an older model station wagon with wood-grained side panels, Selzer said.
The man got out of the car and forced her inside, holding her at knifepoint, then drove her to a secluded spot in Alexander County, Ill., and raped her, the victim told police.
She said he then forced her out of the car near the Illinois side of the Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge, and she was able to call 911. When officers responded to the call for help, she was walking across the bridge, Selzer said.
Alexander County will be handling the rape investigation, and Cape Girardeau police will be investigating the kidnapping, Selzer said.