- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
VanGennip wins bid on Marble Hill license office
The Marble Hill license office will remain under the direction of Richard E. VanGennip, the Missouri Department of Revenue announced.
VanGennip was chosen as the winning bidder in competition for the office, which handles approximately 20,000 transactions a year and provides about $66,000 in fees to the operator. VanGennip, who has operated the office since 2005, beat out Helderman & Hawk Inc., a company set up by Georgia Mae Helderman, former owner of the Dannie Gilder Inc. trucking firm, and her daughter, Julie Ann Hawk, to bid on license office contracts.
The license office will remain at 606 Highway 34 W.
In his winning bid, VanGennip pledged to return 2 percent of his fee revenues to the state.
License offices, once a prime political plum, have been subject to competitive bidding under a program begun by former Gov. Matt Blunt and expanded by Gov. Jay Nixon when he took office in January. The legislature formally incorporated the process into state law this year. Operators of the offices charge fees in addition to the cost of a driver's license or vehicle registration, working as private contractors to the state.
The Cape Girardeau license office was awarded earlier this year to the Southeast Missouri Foundation. Four bidders have asked for the Jackson license office but no winner has been announced. The Chaffee, Mo., license office has received two bids but no selection has been made.
606 Highway 34 W., Marble Hill, Mo.