- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Tour of Missouri: Welcome to Cape
Today is a big day for Cape Girardeau. Thousands of spectators are expected downtown for the finale of Stage 2 of the Tour of Missouri bicycle race. The 120 cyclists will be completing a 112-mile race that starts this morning in Ste. Genevieve. The racers are expected to reach downtown Cape Girardeau between 3 and 4:15 p.m.
Considerable planning promises to make the race a well-organized and exciting event. The downtown area near the finish line will offer food and fun for visitors most of the day. Special shuttles will carry spectators from the West Park Mall and Show Me Center parking lots beginning at 11 a.m., because parking won't be permitted on many downtown streets to accommodate the cyclists. The shuttles are free.
The 15 cycling teams include riders who participated in the Tour de France, the world's most famous bicycle race. This is the first year for the Tour of Missouri to include Cape Girardeau on its race route.
Let's give a hearty Cape Girardeau welcome to the cyclists, their support crews and their fans. The race is sure to be one of the most exciting events in recent memory. Advice to all: Have fun.