- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Cape man accused of secretly recording women, posting to porn site (11/22/17)
- Thankful People: Kirsten Strebe recovers from traumatic car accident, brain injury (11/23/17)
- Cape attorney Brandon Cooper to run for judge (11/20/17)2
- Thankful People: Moore family counts its blessing after harrowing accident (11/23/17)
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Deal Finder brings 'unique' shopping to Cape Girardeau (11/24/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- 1 dead, 3 hurt in accident on Highway 72 (11/19/17)
Tour of Missouri: Welcome to Cape
Today is a big day for Cape Girardeau. Thousands of spectators are expected downtown for the finale of Stage 2 of the Tour of Missouri bicycle race. The 120 cyclists will be completing a 112-mile race that starts this morning in Ste. Genevieve. The racers are expected to reach downtown Cape Girardeau between 3 and 4:15 p.m.
Considerable planning promises to make the race a well-organized and exciting event. The downtown area near the finish line will offer food and fun for visitors most of the day. Special shuttles will carry spectators from the West Park Mall and Show Me Center parking lots beginning at 11 a.m., because parking won't be permitted on many downtown streets to accommodate the cyclists. The shuttles are free.
The 15 cycling teams include riders who participated in the Tour de France, the world's most famous bicycle race. This is the first year for the Tour of Missouri to include Cape Girardeau on its race route.
Let's give a hearty Cape Girardeau welcome to the cyclists, their support crews and their fans. The race is sure to be one of the most exciting events in recent memory. Advice to all: Have fun.