- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Tour of Missouri: Welcome to Cape
Today is a big day for Cape Girardeau. Thousands of spectators are expected downtown for the finale of Stage 2 of the Tour of Missouri bicycle race. The 120 cyclists will be completing a 112-mile race that starts this morning in Ste. Genevieve. The racers are expected to reach downtown Cape Girardeau between 3 and 4:15 p.m.
Considerable planning promises to make the race a well-organized and exciting event. The downtown area near the finish line will offer food and fun for visitors most of the day. Special shuttles will carry spectators from the West Park Mall and Show Me Center parking lots beginning at 11 a.m., because parking won't be permitted on many downtown streets to accommodate the cyclists. The shuttles are free.
The 15 cycling teams include riders who participated in the Tour de France, the world's most famous bicycle race. This is the first year for the Tour of Missouri to include Cape Girardeau on its race route.
Let's give a hearty Cape Girardeau welcome to the cyclists, their support crews and their fans. The race is sure to be one of the most exciting events in recent memory. Advice to all: Have fun.