- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- I will not be silenced (5/16/17)4
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
Liberals have deep moral values
In response to David Limbaugh's ongoing statements that liberals lack moral values, I offer the following: "Then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:37-40)
Liberals, Christian or not, embrace the essential morality underlying these and 3,000 other biblical references to helping the poor. Unlike conservatism, helping people in poverty is a central theme of both the Gospel and liberal politics. I'm sorry, Mr. Limbaugh, but liberals do have profound moral values with a strong, biblical basis.
I have known many conservatives who help the poor, but I'm always amazed at the many more who judge and condemn poor people they know little about. This is often fueled by the Limbaugh brothers' ongoing public pronouncements which distort the reality of poverty even as they stoke the most base and hateful instincts of their audience. Where is Christianity in this? I know that I speak for many when I request that Limbaugh moderate his colossal arrogance and stop judging the morality of liberals and the poor as if he himself were somehow God.
ROBERT POLACK Jr., Cape Girardeau