- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Out of the past 2/15/05
25 years ago: Feb. 15, 1980
The list of candidates for the Southeast Missouri State University presidency has been narrowed to six, but the names of the finalists aren't disclosed.
The cutting of a computer tape -- symbolic of modern electronic data gathering methods -- opens the district office of the Bureau of the Census in Cape Girardeau; it is one of 408 district offices throughout the United States preparing for the 1980 census; the district office is at 407 N. Kings-highway.
50 years ago: Feb. 15, 1955
The estimated cost in total and on a square foot basis, along with plans and specifications, of the sewer system for Rodney Vista and contiguous areas has been completed by city engineer John R. Walther and placed on file for acceptance by the city council.
County sanitarian Marvin Campbell estimates an average of one or two cows from every Grade A dairy herd in the county will be removed under the state's brucellosis eradication program.
75 years ago: Feb. 15, 1930
Rumors of the impending purchase of the Sugar Creek Creamery Co. of Danville, Ill., which has a plant in Cape Girardeau, by the National Dairy Products Corp., are partially confirmed; Sugar Creek operates in several states and several months ago acquired the Golden Grain Butter Co. here and announced plans for building a larger plant here.
A fire escape will be installed at St. Mary's High School on South Sprigg Street shortly, according to a decision reached recently by the St. Joseph's School Association.
100 years ago: Feb. 15, 1905
According to a telegram from Congressman Willard Vandiver, Congress has just passed an omnibus bill in which was a provision for the purchase of land in Cape Girardeau for a new federal building; $12,000 has been set aside for this purpose.
The bridge across the Mississippi River at Thebes, Ill., is nearing completion, work on the last span being now well underway.
-- Sharon K. Sanders