- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Chantelle Becking strives to make a difference through her family and community (11/10/17)
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- Jackson elementary students try to help others with 'kindness boxes' (11/6/17)1
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Search reveals body in lake near Poplar Bluff; foul play suspected (11/12/17)
Bush policies aren't Christian
To the editor:
It's always a good idea to compare any administration's public relations talk with what it actually does. Currently, the Bush administration has proposed cutting social services and health care for the poor and vulnerable in order to offset some of its huge deficit spending. This comes after two rounds of hefty tax cuts for the wealthiest of the wealthy, billions of dollars in unaccounted funds related to the Iraq debacle and frighteningly huge increases in military expenditures.
It is obvious to me that we are rapidly making the final transition to a military-based economy -- even perhaps to a military state. In the process, we are apparently going to sacrifice those least able to shoulder the burden.
My question to the president is this: Mr. Bush, you claim to be a Christian, but would Jesus give huge tax cuts to the rich, line the pockets of companies like Halliburton with middle-class tax dollars and then drive impoverished children, struggling, single mothers, the elderly poor and other vulnerable souls into deeper desperation?
You may fool the Fox news crowd into believing you represent Christian values, but you're not fooling me.
JOY BELL, Cape Girardeau