- Business Notebook: Millersville Pit Stop opening Friday; newly rebuilt convenience store to feature favorites (7/16/18)
- Dexter Bar-B-Que in Jackson moving location (7/12/18)1
- Car packages: Local stores adding pickup services as part of nationwide trend (7/14/18)1
- Voters to choose from crowded field for Scott County presiding commissioner (7/10/18)1
- Mary Jane bourbon + smokehouse + Cape (7/9/18)4
- Developer: Construction moving into new phases on Marriott (7/12/18)1
- New safety measures being put in place in Jackson School District (7/11/18)3
- Harbor Freight to open next week in Cape Girardeau (7/10/18)
- Relentless flood swamped towns, turned roads into lakes 25 years ago this summer (7/16/18)
- Former police officer, disabled vet vie for state representative seat (7/11/18)2
Marinade gives flatiron steak a Southwestern flavor
The flatiron steak, often referred to as a top blade steak, is a marbled cut of beef from the shoulder. It does well in braises such as goulash or Swiss steak but can also be butterflied and cooked quickly on the grill. Here it gets a smoky Southwestern-style marinade and is accompanied by a relish that would work well with almost any type of grilled beef, pork or fish.
Flatiron Steak with Avocado-Corn Relish
1 1/2-pound flatiron steak, about 3/4 inch thick
1/4 cup orange juice
1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can
1 large clove garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 Hass avocados, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (cut from 1 ear)
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon lime juice
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Light a charcoal fire or heat a gas grill to medium-high.
Set the steak on a flat surface. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut through the meat, parallel to the work surface, leaving 1/2 inch of the meat attached at the side so it can be opened like a book. Set the butterflied steak in a medium bowl or baking dish.
In a blender, combine the orange juice, chipotle chili, adobo sauce, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Puree until smooth. Pour the mixture over the steak and marinate for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, gently mix the avocados, corn, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove the steak from the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the bowl; do not wipe off the marinade. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Grill the steak, turning once, until medium, about 6 minutes per side.
Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice steak across the grain and serve with the avocado-corn relish.
Makes 4 servings.