- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Charles Henry Hoppe, 78, formerly of Cape Girardeau, died Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2005, at Hearthstone at Murrayhill in Beaverton, Ore.
He was born April 17, 1926, in Poplar Bluff, Mo., the son of Henry A. and Flora Amanda Fischer Hoppe. He and Dorothy Lewis were married Oct. 28, 1950, in Cape Girardeau. She died June 29, 1982. He and Betty Fox were later married on Nov. 23, 1984, in Cape Girardeau. She died July 12, 2000.
Hoppe was a member of First General Baptist Church where he served as a deacon for 25 years and taught Sunday school. He was also a member of Gideons International.
Hoppe was in the Army from March 1945 to November 1946. Hoppe received a B.S. with a major in chemical engineering from the Missouri School of Mines, now called the University of Missouri-Rolla. He was a plant engineer at Trojan Powder Plant in Wolf Lake, Ill., safety officer and OSHA officer for Potashnick Construction Co. in Cape Girardeau, and also worked for the City of Cape Girardeau where he retired from the Building Permits and Inspection Department.
Survivors include two daughters, the Rev. Charlotte J. Hoppe of Renton, Wash., Becky Jones of Beaverton, Ore.; a stepdaughter, Janet Simmons of Marshfield, Mo.; two stepsons, Dr. Bob Fox of Cape Girardeau, Dr. Michael Fox of Marshfield; a grandson; eight stepgrandchildren; and six great-stepgrandchildren.
He was preceded in death March 17, 1958, by an infant son, Phillip Hoppe, and a brother, Frank Hoppe.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Sam Ramdial officiating. Burial will be at Cape County Memorial Park in Cape Girardeau.
Memorials may be made to Gideons International or First General Baptist Church.