- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Perryville sweeps Mayor's Cup doubleheader from St. Vincent
St. Vincent's boys basketball team was riding a nine-game winning streak heading into Saturday's annual Mayor's Cup game against crosstown rival Perryville High School.
The Indians came out ice cold in the opening half, and Perryville took advantage for a big 54-40 win in front of a standing-room-only crowd at the 1,800-seat Perry Park Center.
The Pirates improved to 9-12 and 4-2 in Jefferson County Conference play.
"Our kids are really fired up," Perryville coach Joel Roth said. "In the preseason conference poll, we were picked eighth out of nine teams. This makes us 4-2 in the conference. We're using that preseason poll as posterboard material."
St. Vincent fell to 11-5 with its first loss in January. The Indians are 4-2 in the conference.
"We're starting February now, we had a good January at 9-1," St. Vincent coach Bruce Valleroy said.
A combination of solid Perryville defense and poor St. Vincent shooting made for a lopsided opening half. Perryville led 10-3 after one quarter and 21-8 at halftime. St. Vincent managed just two field goals in the opening half.
St. Vincent got within 32-27 late in the quarter before Perryville closed with a 5-0 run to pull ahead 37-27 heading into the fourth.
Milan Klaus led Perryville with 15 points. Rick Dunn added 11.
Armbruster finished with 15 for St. Vincent, and Rellergert had 11.
Perryville girls win
Perryville's girls basketball team opened up the varsity portion of the Mayor's Cup with a 49-38 victory agains St. Vincent.
Perryville (11-6) led by as many as 11 points early before St. Vincent (3-11) closed within 22-20 at halftime. St. Vincent tied the score at 28-28 with 3 minutes remaining in the third. Perryville's outside shooting took over from there, with Krista Miesner hitting two 3-pointers and Meghan Roth adding another to make the score 38-30 after three quarters.
Amber Hacker led Perryville with 17 points, Miesner had 12 and Annette Weibrecht had 11.
Jessica Welker led St. Vincent with 12 points.
BOYS GAME: PERRYVILLE 54, ST. VINCENT 40
ST. VINCENT (40) -- Alex Armbruster 15, Danny Rellergert 11, Jacob DeWilde 4, Luke Guyot 4, Waylon Richardet 4, Ben Buccheit 2. FG 10, FT 16-32, F 21 (3-pointers: Rellergert 3, Guyot 1. Fouled out: Rellergert)
PERRYVILLE (54) -- Milan Klaus 15, Rick Dunn 11, Jacob Hayden 3, Scott Ozark 7, Phillip Buerck 6, Cory Buerck 6, Andrew Norman 6. FG 16, FT 18-33, F 21 (3-pointers: Norman 2, Hayden 1. Fouled out: Klaus, Dunn, Norman)
JV -- Perryville 40, St. Vincent 37
GIRLS GAME:PERRYVILLE 49, ST. VINCENT 38
PERRYVILLE (49) -- Christina Schremp 2, Meghan Roth 3, Krista Miesner 12, Amber Hacker 17, Bethany Steffens 3, Annette Weibrecht 11, Becky Bachmann 1. FG 17, FT 8-19, F 14 (3-pointers: Hacker 2, Miesner 3, Roth 1. Fouled out: none)
ST. VINCENT (38) -- Kelsey Kutz 4, Theresa Mattingly 4, Lauren Schumer 6, Sierra Paulus 9, Stacy Brown 1, Alex Lundy 2, Jessica Welker 12. FG 17, FT 4-7, F 17 (3-pointers: none. Fouled out: none)
JV: Perryville 42, St. Vincent 38