- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Two men face charges in Cape prostitution sting (5/28/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Equal time for both theories
To the editor:
In the dispute between creation and evolution theory, there is one thing they both have in common. People vehemently hold firm TO what they believe in. The astronomical odds of a primordial soup coming together to form life requires great faith. It also takes faith for a creationist to believe that God created everything in six days. So we have two extreme opposites that both require faith to maintain belief.
One thing is certain: Since only one is true, the other must be false. If both can be considered a belief, wouldn't that make both a religion? Would this be in violation of the First Amendment by using one over the other as a state religion?
A simple solution would be to have both evolution and creation taught in the classroom with the disclaimer of both being theories. This would ensure that the students receive balanced information to draw their own conclusions.
It is not the school system's job to indoctrinate belief, but rather the parents. The idea of allowing one theory without equal time raises the concern of socialist ideology. Whatever the case may be it, will be up to the individual to research the information and seek the truth rather than letting assumption fill one's mind.
VICTOR E. HEISE, Scott City