- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)6
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
Equal time for both theories
To the editor:
In the dispute between creation and evolution theory, there is one thing they both have in common. People vehemently hold firm TO what they believe in. The astronomical odds of a primordial soup coming together to form life requires great faith. It also takes faith for a creationist to believe that God created everything in six days. So we have two extreme opposites that both require faith to maintain belief.
One thing is certain: Since only one is true, the other must be false. If both can be considered a belief, wouldn't that make both a religion? Would this be in violation of the First Amendment by using one over the other as a state religion?
A simple solution would be to have both evolution and creation taught in the classroom with the disclaimer of both being theories. This would ensure that the students receive balanced information to draw their own conclusions.
It is not the school system's job to indoctrinate belief, but rather the parents. The idea of allowing one theory without equal time raises the concern of socialist ideology. Whatever the case may be it, will be up to the individual to research the information and seek the truth rather than letting assumption fill one's mind.
VICTOR E. HEISE, Scott City