- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Two dead in Southeast Missouri accidents Monday
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- Two people died in separate accidents Monday in Southeast Missouri.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, at 9:55 am. on Interstate 57, seven miles north of Charleston, a northbound dump truck operated by Nathan L. Belstle, 23, of Fayette, Mo., suffered a defect, crossed the center line and struck a vehicle driven by Robert G. Downey, 36, of Collierville, Tenn., head-on.
Downey was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:12 a.m. by Mississippi County coroner Terry Parker. Belstle received serious injuries and was air lifted to Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
Another accident occurred at 1:05 p.m. in Dunklin County. The Patrol reports eastbound motorist Carri L. Morales, 32, of Gideon, Mo., was traveling on U.S. 162, half a mile east of Clarkton city limits, when she drove off the road and overturned. She was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:05 p.m. by New Madrid County coroner Ralph Barnwell.