- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Oltha Mae Helsley Fesler, 89, died Saturday, June 27, 2009, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Dec. 8, 1919, in Essex, Mo., daughter of Sherman Helsley and Iva Miles Helsley. She was married to Carney Fesler in Essex on May 3, 1952. He survives.
Oltha graduated from the Essex high school. She was a postmaster during the World War II years and later worked for the former Missouri Utilities Co. in Dexter, Mo. Since her marriage, she has resided in Cape Girardeau as a mother and homemaker.
She has two children, son Sherman Fesler of Tustin, Calif., daughter Martha (Bill) Scott of Florence, Ariz.; and two granddaughters, Casey Scott and Leslie Scott. She is survived by two brothers, Bill Helsley of Memphis, Tenn., Marvin Helsley of Minneapolis; eight nieces; and 10 great-nieces.
Four brothers and one sister preceded her in death.
Since moving to Cape Girardeau she has been a member of Centenary United Methodist Church, Methodist Women and the Clipper Class.
Friends may call from noon until 2 p.m. Wednesday at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Chapel. A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the chapel, with the Rev. Jeff Long officiating.
In lieu of flowers, a memorial may be sent to Centenary Methodist Church or a charity of your choice.