- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Harbor Freight Tools store coming to Cape (3/29/17)9
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Cape school board rejects proposal to allow parochial-school students to play sports (3/28/17)79
- Ragsdale to replace Farrow as principal at Franklin Elementary (3/29/17)5
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- Suspended Southeast student pleads guilty to firearm charge from fatal Carbondale shooting (3/28/17)1
- Wide array of candidates run for Cape school board (3/27/17)7
This is summer
The current heat wave can cause problems for those of us who have to be outdoors. The combination of high heat and humidity can cause serious health problems and aggravate other medical conditions. Everyone should be careful and heed common-sense advice.
* If you have a choice, avoid strenuous activity when it's so hot.
* Drink plenty of fluids. Keeping your body hydrated is one of the best things you can do during a heat wave.
* If you have air conditioning, stay inside as much as possible. If you don't, look for a nearby cooling center and seek relief from the heat.
* And don't forget your outdoor pets. Make sure they have plenty of water and shade. Many pets also enjoy being inside where it's air-conditioned.
This year's heat seems particularly uncomfortable for a couple of reasons. One is that we had a long, cool spring. The contrast between the moderate spring temperatures and the arrival of the summer heat wave has made the heat all the more unbearable. And the change from cool to hot occurred almost overnight. One day it was comfortable outside. The next day it was beastly.
Keep your cool this summer. Heat indexes are likely to be high for the next two months. And remember to check on the elderly, especially those who live alone.