- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Speak Out 6/27/09
Bushes hide sign
I would like to request the people who put bushes in front of the Woodland Hills Estate sign right off Perryville Road to please remove those bushes so motorists can see when to turn into the area. When we give people the directions where to turn in, they can't find the sign.
PROBLEMS caused by excessive spending and indebtedness cannot be cured by more spending and more indebtedness any more than the cure for excessive lending is more excessive lending. During the Great Depression, FDR's treasury secretary, Henry Morgenthal, noted in his diary, "We have tried spending money, we are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. We have never made good on any of our promises. I say after eight years of this administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started and an enormous debt to boot." Often they had unemployment rates running anywhere from 25 percent and up but at eight years after this in 1929, the unemployment rate was still 17 percent. Today, President Obama is trying the same thing, and it's not going to work.
BOB Miller, your story "A tale of fatherhood" was perfect. I loved it. I love your way of writing. I'd like to see more of your writing. It made a great Father's Day story. Continue the good work.
Future health care
FOR those of you who want universal health care, I suggest you look at the VA system. While I am thankful for some things, others are more than not worth it. On many occasions I have had to wait six months or more for anything other than a clinic appointment. Most of the VA doctors don't care anymore. They ask you, the patient, what you want them to do. Since when do I know what medicine or treatment to give? Many times they tell you there is no need for tests because they won't treat you for certain things, even if that is your problem. You're either too young or too old. You want universal health care? Go to Canada. I wouldn't wish that on my own family.
No liberal slant
SO Fox TV didn't carry President Obama's Father's Day message. Thank God there is a network that is not worshipping the president, one that is giving us the news without a liberal slant. Many times the other networks ignored President Bush. And those other networks did a fine job campaigning for Obama before the election.
SOMEONE recently commented that Fox News was small-minded. Really? A recent poll shows that none other than Fox News was the most balanced. Fox News may be the conservatives' choice, but if you believe that CNN or MSNBC is fair, then you are certainly small-minded.