- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)1
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
Efforts to create Cape Girardeau's first residential historic district have been underway for months. Residents in the proposed district have discussed the plan, circulated petitions and met with city officials. The Historic Preservation Commission approved one plan and is considering a revised plan that resulted from changes recommended by the Planning and Zoning Commission. The commission will have a public hearing at 7 p.m. July 15 at city hall on the latest plan. After action by the commission, the proposal goes to the city council for final approval.
The proposed Boulevard Local Historic District would be north of Broadway between West End Boulevard and Henderson Avenue, including the 300 block of North Park Avenue as well as all of Highland Drive, Hillcrest Drive and Rockwood Drive.
This area includes stately homes that represent an era of graciousness and individuality. Preserving the character of the neighborhood is one aim of the proposed district.
Individuals with strong feelings about the proposed district should plan to attend the July 15 hearing. These public hearings are special opportunities for citizens to participate in the process of local government while contributing to the overall betterment of our city.