- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Area calendar 6/25/09
* Cardinals trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a trip to the St. Louis Cardinals game against the Houston Astros on Aug. 1 at 1:15 p.m. The tickets are located in the pavilion reserved section. Cost: $22 for the ticket and an additional $18 to ride the charter bus. Info: Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department, 339-6731.
* Jackson camp: The Indians baseball camp, for players in grades 4 through 8, will be July 6 to 9 at Legion Field in Jackson City Park. The camp will focus on fundamentals and run from 9 to 11 a.m. each day. Cost: $30. Info: email@example.com or indianhardball.com.
* Jackson boys camps: Jackson will host boys basketball camps at the high school. An individual skills camp for players in grades 3 through 7 will be Monday to July 2 from 9 a.m. to noon. Cost: $50 if preregistered; $55 at the door. A shooting camp for players in grades 3 through 7 will be July 13 to 16 from 9 a.m. to noon. Cost: $50 if preregistered; $55 at the door. A little dribblers camp for players in grades kindergarten through 2 will be Aug. 3 to 6 from 5 to 7 p.m. Cost: $40 if preregistered, $45 at the door. Individual workouts also will be available with the Jackson coaching staff and focus on shooting fundamentals, post moves and ball handling. Cost: $75 for four sessions, $135 for eight sessions, $180 for 12 sessions. Info or to register: www.coachscott.org.
* Central boys camps: Central coach Drew Church will host boys basketball camps at the high school. A camp for players in grades kindergarten to 4 will run July 14 to 16 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. A camp for players in grades 5 to 8 will run July 14 to 16 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Cost: $45 per camp. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Jackson camps: Jackson will host a cross country camp for boys and girls entering grades 6 to 12 at the pavilion near the swimming pool in Jackson City Park. The camp will be July 27 to 31. The camp is free. Info: Andrea Talley, 275-0976.
* Southeast camps canceled: The Southeast Missouri State football program has announced the cancellation of its 7-on-7 tournament and big man camps that originally were scheduled for Saturday. Info: Nick Stauffer, 651-2110, or Lorenzo Brinkley, 270-8514.
* Central camp: Central coach Rich Payne will host a free camp at the high school for players in grades 9 to 12 from July 27 to 31. It will run from 6 to 8:30 p.m. each day. Info: email@example.com.
* <B>Central junior high camp: Central Junior High School will host a free camp July 27 to 30 at the junior high. The camp is for players in grades 7 and 8 and will run from 9 to 11 a.m.
n Woodland tournament: The Woodland Community Booster Club will hold its annual four-person scramble golf tournament Monday at Bent Creek. Entry fee is $300 per team. Lunch is included and will be served at noon. The tournament will begin at 1 p.m. Info: Tim Abner. 238-1099 or Harley Eddleman, 576-3830.
n Physicals: Central Junior High will offer physicals for anyone interested in participating in a sport during the 2009-10 school year. Physicals will be offered July 17 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the junior high nurse's office. Cost: $20.
n Capaha Classic: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the 22nd annual Capaha Classic 5K run, children's 1-mile run and 1-mile fitness walk July 11. The 5K course will wind through the rolling hills of residential Cape Girardeau, while the children's run is a loop around Capaha Park. Cost: $10 before Wednesday; $16 from Wednesday to July 10; $20 on race day. Registration begins at 6:45 a.m. and continues until 7:40 a.m. The 5K begins at 8 a.m., and the children's run begins at 8:45 a.m. Info: Heather Davis, 339-6731.
n Jackson soccer camp: A soccer camp will be held July 6 to 10 in Jackson for players ranging from pre-kindergarten to eighth grade. The pre-kindergarten and kindergarten camp will be from 8 to 9 a.m. Cost: $35, $40 after Friday. The camp for players in grades 1 to 8 will be from 8 to 10 a.m. Cost: $45, $50 after Friday. The camps will be held at the fields behind Jackson Junior High School. Info: Zack Walton, 243-1876 or 587-2179.
n Southeast Missouri State camps: Southeast Missouri State's soccer staff will host camps for boys and girls ages 6 to 13. A camp at Shawnee Park field No. 12 will be July 29 to 31 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. A camp at Shawnee Park field No. 12 will be Aug. 3, 5 and 6 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Info: Paul Nelson, 587-8056.
n Club tryouts: The Southeast Missouri Soccer Club will hold tryouts at Shawnee Park field No. 12. The tryout schedule for boys is: U-9 -- Saturday and Monday at 6:30 p.m. and the contact is Scott Goodin, 270-5270; U-10 -- Saturday and Monday at 6:30 p.m. and the contact is Adam Langley, 979-4342; U-11 -- Tuesday, Wednesday and July 2 at 6:15 p.m. and the contact is Scott Goodin, 270-5270; U-14 -- Monday at 7 p.m. and the contact is Herb Wedemeier, 270-1860; U-15 -- Monday and July 2 at 7 p.m. and the contact is Scott Goodin, 270-5270; U-17 -- Tuesday and July 7 at 7:30 p.m. and the contact is Sam Duncan, 450-6340; U-19 -- Wednesday and July 7 at 7:30 p.m. and the contact is Tom Viers, 579-0777. The tryout schedule for girls is: U-9 -- Monday and Wednesday at 5 p.m. and the contact is Brent Brune, 450-1256; U-10 -- Monday and Wednesday at 5 p.m. and the contact is Brian Ziegler, 450-4902; U-11 -- Tuesday and Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. and the contact is Stu Dohogne, 334-9176; U-12 -- Monday and Wednesday at 5 p.m. and the contact is Brian Ziegler, 450-4902; U-14 -- Sunday and Tuesday at 6 p.m. and the contact is Kevin Priester, 979-0150; U-15 -- Sunday and Wednesday at 5 p.m. and the contact is Terry Spence, 651-1849; U-18 -- Sunday at 3:30 p.m. and the contact is Scott Goodin, 270-5270.
n Club tryouts: The Jackson United Soccer Club will hold tryouts for its U-9 to U-14 boys and girls teams Saturday at 9 a.m. and Monday at 6 p.m. The tryouts will take place at the Jackson Soccer Park on Highway PP. Info: Zack, 587-2179, Bobby, 382-2585 or Joe, 270-9585.
n Fall sign-ups: The Cape Area Youth Soccer Association will hold fall registration July 19 and July 26 at Kick's Soccer Shop in West Park Mall. The registration will run from noon to 4 p.m., or forms can be printed at: www.caysarecsoccer.org. Deadline to register: July 27. Cost: $20 for pre-kindergarten players; $35 for players in grades 1 to 8.
n Central camps: Central coach Amy Blattel will host a skills camp at the high school for players in grades 9 to 12 from July 20 to 23 from 9 a.m. to noon. Cost: $35. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
n Central camps: Central coach Dayna Powell will host camps at the Central Municipal Pool. A swim camp will be July 13 to 17. Swimmers in grades 9 to 12 will go from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., while swimmers in grades 4 to 8 will run from 3 to 5 p.m. Cost: $50 per camp. Info: email@example.com.
n <B>Open swim: There will be a 1-mile open-water swim Aug. 8 at Lake Boutin in Trail of Tears State Park. The race will begin at 11 a.m. with a run-in start and it will be a two-loop course marked with buoys and lifeguards will be on duty. There will be chip timing. Cost: $20 before July 20; $25 after July 20; $30 on race day. Info or to register: splitmastertiming.com.
* Social doubles: Doubles players are invited to play socially Saturday mornings at the Southeast Missouri State University tennis facility. Play begins at 9 a.m. There is no cost and players of all abilities are invited.
* Juniors tournament and league: There will be a juniors league Saturday mornings at Central High School. Any player age 10 to 18 who can serve, rally and score is eligible to participate. The league is free and on a drop-in basis. Play will be from 9 to 11 a.m. There also will be a Jammin' Juniors tournament Aug. 7 to 8 at the Southeast Missouri State University tennis facility. Info or to register: 332-1614.
* Juniors camps: The Cape Area Tennis Association will hold camps for players ages 6 to 14 at Central High School. The camps are one week, and are in progress and run through the week of July 6. Info: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
* Local tournament: The Training Edge will host a tournament at the Cove Recreation Complex on July 11 and 12. There will be men's and women's singles and doubles open and A divisions. Play will begin at 8 a.m. Cost: $25 for singles, $20 per person for doubles. Info: Scott Hubbard, 450-7590.
Track and field
* Southeast Missouri State camps: Southeast Missouri State's track and field staff will host sprints and hurdles camps at the Abe Stuber Complex. A camp for grades 7 through 12 will be July 13 to 16. A camp for grades 7 through 12 will be July 27 to 30. Info: 651-5994. A camp brochure is available at gosoutheast.com.
* Notre Dame camp: Notre Dame coach Tara Stroup will host a camp at the high school Monday to July 3 for players in grades 6 to 8. The emphasis will be on improvement of basic individual skills of players of all abilities. It will run from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Cost: $65. Info: notredamehighschool.org.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail to be included in the calendar.