- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Celebrating the 4th
When Cape Girardeau's Libertyfest was called off because of funding problems in this tight economy, the community appeared to be resigned to no fireworks or traveling to nearby towns with Fourth of July celebrations.
But the Joint Veterans Council has come up with a two-day Independence Day celebration at Arena Park that is sure to satisfy every patriot's notion of a proper observance of our nation's founding.
Events will begin July 3 when the Arena Building opens with booths featuring businesses and organizations and refreshments. At 6:30 p.m. there will be a tribute ceremony for the Patriot Guard Riders, and at 7:30 there will a truck pull.
On July 4, registration for a washer tournament starts at 11 a.m. The Arena Building will again open at noon. A demolition derby is scheduled for 6 p.m. followed by a patriotic tribute and fireworks. The Southeast Missourian's Spirit of America Award will be presented during the evening's festivities.
To help defray the cost of the celebration, tickets are being sold for the grandstand events.
Tickets may be purchased at the Arena Building, Food Giant and Port Cape.
Meanwhile, Jackson has a full day of activities on July 4, concluding with a fireworks show at 9:30 p.m.