- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Cape Legion sweeps doubleheader
The Cape Girardeau Post 63 Ford & Sons American Legion baseball team moved above the .500 mark with a lopsided doubleheader sweep Saturday.
Cape (9-7) won both games from host Calvert City, Ky., in five innings on the 10-run rule, 16-3 and 11-0.
Ford & Sons had 11 hits in the opener, led by Josh Compas and Andrew Williams with two each. They also had two RBIs apiece.
Jamie Pickel pitched all five innings, allowing seven hits. He struck out five and walked two.
Cape had 10 hits in the nightcap, led by Brady James with three hits and three RBIs. Williams had two hits and four RBIs. Levi Felter added two hits.
Felter fired the complete-game shutout. He allowed four hits, struck out three and walked one.
Post 63 begins District 14 play today at Sikeston. Only the opener of the 2 p.m. doubleheader counts as a district contest.
Jackson Sr. Babe sweeps
The Jackson Senior Babe Ruth baseball team remained undefeated by sweeping Saturday's doubleheader from visiting Bismarck.
Jackson (8-0) won 12-11 in 10 innings and 7-2.
The opener was tied 6-6 after the regulation seven innings. Jackson trailed 11-7 entering the bottom of the ninth but rallied and tied things on Bret Steffens three-run double. Jackson won it in the 10th on an RBI single by Chris Roth.
Roth had three hits and also notched the win with a scoreless 10th inning. Bret Steffens, Garrett Fritsche, Bryant Steffens and Ryan Bass all added two hits.
Roth and Bryant Steffens both had two hits in the nightcap. Roth and Bryant Steffens combined on the pitching victory.
Earlier in the week, Jackson swept a doubleheader from New Madrid 11-2 and 7-3.
Cape Junior wins pair
The Cape Girardeau Plaza Tire Junior Legion team won both its games Saturday in the DSP Midwest Regional, but failed to emerge from pool play.
Cape (12-5) defeated the St. Louis Bulls 10-6 and the St. Louis Warriors 9-7 to even its round-robin record at 2-2. Only the top team in each of the three five-team pools advanced to today's final day of play.
Ethan Dambach recorded the win against the Bulls. Josh Hiett, Brandon Peters, Jake Conklin and Aaron Wendel each had two hits in the win. Wendel drove in two runs.
Ronnie Scott notched the win against the Warriors. Chris Limbaugh led Cape with three hits, while Christian Cavaness and James Diveley each had two hits. Diveley finished with two RBIs.
Jackson junior sweeps
The Jackson Junior Legion team reached the 20-win mark with Saturday's doubleheader sweep at Calvert City, Ky., 7-0 and 17-4 in five innings.
Dylan Koehler and Austin Fowler both had two hits for Jackson (20-2) in the opener. John Bohnsack was the winner.
Brennon Cox went 4-for-4 in the run-rule nightcap. Koehler and Nathan Beussink both added two hits. Ryan Gendron notched the victory.
-- From staff reports