- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
When it comes to lavishing attention on our parents, mothers are the ones who get the flowery, mushy greeting cards, the frilly gifts and the hugs and kisses. And they deserve all of that, and more.
Fathers, on the other hand, tend to be the recipients of more subdued fanfares. Call it part of the male mystique. Men, after all, don't cry in front of others, don't hug the way mothers do, aren't partial to fancy gifts, and favor he-man tokens of affection like chain saws, barbecue grills and after-shave they are likely never to slap onto stubble-free faces. And neckties, of course, although with the cultural shift to casual wear for work, church and even weddings, the tried and true necktie may be on its last legs.
But today is Father's Day, and it calls for something special. Perhaps this is the year for something new, something bold. At a minimum, if you have a father to honor on this special occasion, tell him you love him. Sons, you can do this. Just watch your sisters -- or someone else's sister, and you'll get the hang of it.
While actions speak loudly, words speak plainly. Don't miss the opportunity this Father's Day to say things to your father that you don't often say.
And fathers, be proud of your children. You helped make them what they are. Happy Father's Day.