- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Marble Hill man accused of beating, kidnapping woman (6/27/17)
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)2
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Business notebook: Man's cheesecake whim becomes a full-time vocation (6/26/17)
When it comes to lavishing attention on our parents, mothers are the ones who get the flowery, mushy greeting cards, the frilly gifts and the hugs and kisses. And they deserve all of that, and more.
Fathers, on the other hand, tend to be the recipients of more subdued fanfares. Call it part of the male mystique. Men, after all, don't cry in front of others, don't hug the way mothers do, aren't partial to fancy gifts, and favor he-man tokens of affection like chain saws, barbecue grills and after-shave they are likely never to slap onto stubble-free faces. And neckties, of course, although with the cultural shift to casual wear for work, church and even weddings, the tried and true necktie may be on its last legs.
But today is Father's Day, and it calls for something special. Perhaps this is the year for something new, something bold. At a minimum, if you have a father to honor on this special occasion, tell him you love him. Sons, you can do this. Just watch your sisters -- or someone else's sister, and you'll get the hang of it.
While actions speak loudly, words speak plainly. Don't miss the opportunity this Father's Day to say things to your father that you don't often say.
And fathers, be proud of your children. You helped make them what they are. Happy Father's Day.