- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Montana woman uses chickens as therapists
POLSON, Mont. -- Therapy dogs can be a comfort for seniors and those recovering from illnesses and injuries.
So how about therapy chickens?
Jana Clairmont of Polson, Mont., calls her therapy birds -- a white rooster and Cornish game hen -- "Fowl Play."
On Thursday, she took them to visit residents at Polson Health and Rehabilitation Center in northeast Montana.
Many seniors were raised on farms, Clairmont says, and holding a chicken can bring back memories.
As one man stroked the rooster, Alex, the bird stretched out his neck and rested it across the man's forearm, like a puppy.
Clairmont has arranged visits to retirement and assisted living homes, and says she'd like to take Alex and Carlita, the hen, into classrooms this fall.
Information from: Missoulian, http://www.missoulian.com