- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)7
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
Orchestra in China
There are moments in every life that are bound to remain special memories forever, and for about 40 members of the Southeast Missouri Symphony Orchestra one of those highlights will be performing last month on the Great Wall of China near Beijing.
The orchestra -- Southeast Missouri State University students, faculty and community members -- gave four concerts over eight days during the China trip. The visit to the Great Wall was the only outdoor concert.
The trip took about four years of planning, according to Dr. Sara Edgerton, the orchestra's artistic director. This is a daunting undertaking, and Edgerton is to be commended for her organizing efforts.
Each member of the orchestra will, of course, have his or her own trip stories to tell. But after seeing the front-page photograph of the windblown orchestra performing on the Great Wall, it's easy to imagine that this is one great moment that will be at the top of everyone's memory list.
Congratulations to the orchestra for its fine musical accomplishments and for being good ambassadors for the U.S. in general and for Southeast Missouri in particular.