- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Sonlight Youth Choir and Band in Concert at Grace
Sonlight Youth Choir and Band 2009 Concert Tour
"Breaking the Surface"
The Sonlight Youth Choir and Band of Trinity United Methodist Church Gainesville, Florida will perform a concert on Thursday, June 18th, 7:00 p.m. at Grace United Methodist Church in Cape Girardeau as part of their 2009 Summer Concert Tour. There is no charge for the concert and no offering will be received.
This year's concert promises a high-energy program with youth performing a collection of songs by Coldplay, Muse, Boston, The Eagles, Switchfoot, Jars of Clay and others. Tour theme this year is "Breaking the Surface".
Directed by D J Head, Jr, Sonlight provides the music for Trinity's worship service every Sunday with more than 60 voices and a full rhythm section and horn line. The instrumentalists and soloists are middle and high school students.
"Today, there's such a battle raging between faith and the contemporary world. Sonlight is such a unique musical ensemble in that we challenge these teens to take the common and translate it into a sacred and spiritual message as a way of helping them connect with God and themselves in their every day lives. It helps us look beyond that line that seems to separate lives and bring those lives closer together. The music that we perform is speaking to this new generation, not unlike a parable or a psalm...and it is some very powerful and life changing music, says Director D J Head, Jr.
Simply put, Sonlight's mission statement reads,
"We are a community of youth connected in faith, sharing diverse music to explore and express our love for God."