- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
Sonlight Youth Choir and Band in Concert at Grace
Sonlight Youth Choir and Band 2009 Concert Tour
"Breaking the Surface"
The Sonlight Youth Choir and Band of Trinity United Methodist Church Gainesville, Florida will perform a concert on Thursday, June 18th, 7:00 p.m. at Grace United Methodist Church in Cape Girardeau as part of their 2009 Summer Concert Tour. There is no charge for the concert and no offering will be received.
This year's concert promises a high-energy program with youth performing a collection of songs by Coldplay, Muse, Boston, The Eagles, Switchfoot, Jars of Clay and others. Tour theme this year is "Breaking the Surface".
Directed by D J Head, Jr, Sonlight provides the music for Trinity's worship service every Sunday with more than 60 voices and a full rhythm section and horn line. The instrumentalists and soloists are middle and high school students.
"Today, there's such a battle raging between faith and the contemporary world. Sonlight is such a unique musical ensemble in that we challenge these teens to take the common and translate it into a sacred and spiritual message as a way of helping them connect with God and themselves in their every day lives. It helps us look beyond that line that seems to separate lives and bring those lives closer together. The music that we perform is speaking to this new generation, not unlike a parable or a psalm...and it is some very powerful and life changing music, says Director D J Head, Jr.
Simply put, Sonlight's mission statement reads,
"We are a community of youth connected in faith, sharing diverse music to explore and express our love for God."