- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)11
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Young author gave up TV at age 7 to pursue writing, and has recently finished his third novel (1/20/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Cinderella shines in debut at Bedell (1/20/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
Sonlight Youth Choir and Band in Concert at Grace
Sonlight Youth Choir and Band 2009 Concert Tour
"Breaking the Surface"
The Sonlight Youth Choir and Band of Trinity United Methodist Church Gainesville, Florida will perform a concert on Thursday, June 18th, 7:00 p.m. at Grace United Methodist Church in Cape Girardeau as part of their 2009 Summer Concert Tour. There is no charge for the concert and no offering will be received.
This year's concert promises a high-energy program with youth performing a collection of songs by Coldplay, Muse, Boston, The Eagles, Switchfoot, Jars of Clay and others. Tour theme this year is "Breaking the Surface".
Directed by D J Head, Jr, Sonlight provides the music for Trinity's worship service every Sunday with more than 60 voices and a full rhythm section and horn line. The instrumentalists and soloists are middle and high school students.
"Today, there's such a battle raging between faith and the contemporary world. Sonlight is such a unique musical ensemble in that we challenge these teens to take the common and translate it into a sacred and spiritual message as a way of helping them connect with God and themselves in their every day lives. It helps us look beyond that line that seems to separate lives and bring those lives closer together. The music that we perform is speaking to this new generation, not unlike a parable or a psalm...and it is some very powerful and life changing music, says Director D J Head, Jr.
Simply put, Sonlight's mission statement reads,
"We are a community of youth connected in faith, sharing diverse music to explore and express our love for God."