- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Friday morning fire destroys Kelso, Mo., home
KELSO, Mo. -- A Friday morning fire gutted a Scott County home.
At 5:11 a.m., the New Hamburg-Benton-Commerce Fire Protection District responded to a house fire on County Road 213 near Kelso, fire chief Ivan LeGrand said.
The fire reduced the house to four walls, and firefighters left the scene after five hours. Two hours later they returned in response to smoke that was coming from the basement.
The owners of the house, who LeGrand did not identify, were out of town at the time and have since been notified and returned home. The cause of the fire remains undetermined.
Five other departments responded to the call -- Scott City, Chaffee, Scott County Rural, Delta and Vanduser.