- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
The new manager
Cape Girardeau's new city manager is expected to hit the ground running when he starts work July 1. Scott Meyer, a longtime Cape Girardeau resident with an exceptional background at Southeast Missouri State University and the Missouri Department of Transportation, was named to the position after a nationwide search by the city council and mayor.
These city officials are to be commended for the process used to select the new city manager. Under the leadership of Councilman John Voss, a careful and analytical evaluation was developed that could serve -- and probably will -- as a model for other cities involved in similar searches.
Meyer's resume includes director of facilities management at the university since 2005. Before that, he was Southeast District engineer for MoDOT for nine years. At the university, Meyer oversaw the construction of the River Campus, the aquatic center, a parking facility and a new residence hall. While Meyer was at MoDOT, the Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge was one of the key projects completed.
Meyer's role at MoDOT involved considerable involvement with the public and with government officials. He is admired for his openness and his willingness to address problems and needs in a forthright manner. These attributes should serve Meyer well in his new position.