- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
Speak Out 6/2/09
Keep it up
I beg Rush Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich and Dick Cheney to keep up their attacks on Judge Sonia Sotomayor's nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court. It will go a long way toward helping her to get confirmed, make it even more difficult for the Republican Party to rehabilitate itself, make more likely its extinction and pave the way for one-party rule for at least a generation.
IT is incorrect to say that one type of restaurant is any better than another type. A fast-food restaurant is no better or worse than any other kind restaurant. Speak Out callers should quit being such blatant restaurantists.
I have followed state Rep. Scott Lipke's career for years. He is too honest to be in the dirty business of politics. I wish more men with his values would follow in his footsteps.
Follow the rules
DEAR bicyclists: You are more than welcome on our streets in Cape Girardeau. Follow the rules of the road like the rest of us. No more blowing through red lights and passing on the right. It's illegal to ride on the sidewalks in a business area, so quit weaving from sidewalk to street and back and forth to avoid traffic.
I know there are some who are physically not able to mow or pick up around their residences, but some folks couldn't care less about the cleanliness of their neighborhood. Would someone in city management please explain why people in our city are allowed to contaminate and trash our city? Shouldn't this be a health issues? And the landlords have an obligation too.
ONE of the things I like about columnist Mike Jensen is his willingness to step up to the plate and take personal responsibility when things go awry. For example, Jensen recently wrote that if the recession drags on and worsens, "At least we'll know who to blame." Yes we will, but in Jensen's defense, how was he to know that his economic theories would be adopted, much less applied, all over the world with obviously disastrous consequences?
UPON my first visit to the grand new library, I was impressed. It was beautifully rebuilt and has the most modern decor and services. As the clerk scanned my library card, she asked if my address was still current. I gave her my updated information and was told this was out of the free service area. I've been checking books for three or more years at the library only to be told that I will now have to pay a monthly fee for doing so or drive to Jackson if I want to check books at no charge. So much for a great new library.