- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Nomination threatens some men
I have listened to the discourse on the appointment of Judge Sonya Sotomayor with dismay. Why do women always have to fight the white male for recognition of their intelligence and abilities?
The remark that Judge Sotomayor made about the possibility that she might be "better" than the white male in some situations of judgment procedure has been drummed as a racist and revolutionary statement. Why? Because the white male sees its position threatened with any possibility someone could possibly be better than themselves.
I am quite certain that Judge Sotomayor is probably more intelligent and more in tune to the world around her than most white males, like Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich, who are using another situation concerning a woman to negate any credence to their ability.
It is the woman they are fighting against. It is the woman's intelligence they are unwilling to accept. It is the woman's ability they are trying to keep undercover out of fear they are diminished in their self-ordained status.
The white male's refusal to move into the 21st century is not only barbaric, it is outright contrary to the world around them.
The guys in today's world know and value intelligence. They choose to evolve with their heads and have left the age-old concepts derived from following the penis to former generations to wallow in their fear and anxiety over their losses in the world they see as theirs.
DONNA SHERMAN, Cape Girardeau