- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Concealed-carry restrictions remain in Missouri despite new state law (9/18/16)22
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)6
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of beating a grandmother to death with baseball bat (9/18/16)
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
Nomination threatens some men
I have listened to the discourse on the appointment of Judge Sonya Sotomayor with dismay. Why do women always have to fight the white male for recognition of their intelligence and abilities?
The remark that Judge Sotomayor made about the possibility that she might be "better" than the white male in some situations of judgment procedure has been drummed as a racist and revolutionary statement. Why? Because the white male sees its position threatened with any possibility someone could possibly be better than themselves.
I am quite certain that Judge Sotomayor is probably more intelligent and more in tune to the world around her than most white males, like Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich, who are using another situation concerning a woman to negate any credence to their ability.
It is the woman they are fighting against. It is the woman's intelligence they are unwilling to accept. It is the woman's ability they are trying to keep undercover out of fear they are diminished in their self-ordained status.
The white male's refusal to move into the 21st century is not only barbaric, it is outright contrary to the world around them.
The guys in today's world know and value intelligence. They choose to evolve with their heads and have left the age-old concepts derived from following the penis to former generations to wallow in their fear and anxiety over their losses in the world they see as theirs.
DONNA SHERMAN, Cape Girardeau