- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)11
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Nomination threatens some men
I have listened to the discourse on the appointment of Judge Sonya Sotomayor with dismay. Why do women always have to fight the white male for recognition of their intelligence and abilities?
The remark that Judge Sotomayor made about the possibility that she might be "better" than the white male in some situations of judgment procedure has been drummed as a racist and revolutionary statement. Why? Because the white male sees its position threatened with any possibility someone could possibly be better than themselves.
I am quite certain that Judge Sotomayor is probably more intelligent and more in tune to the world around her than most white males, like Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich, who are using another situation concerning a woman to negate any credence to their ability.
It is the woman they are fighting against. It is the woman's intelligence they are unwilling to accept. It is the woman's ability they are trying to keep undercover out of fear they are diminished in their self-ordained status.
The white male's refusal to move into the 21st century is not only barbaric, it is outright contrary to the world around them.
The guys in today's world know and value intelligence. They choose to evolve with their heads and have left the age-old concepts derived from following the penis to former generations to wallow in their fear and anxiety over their losses in the world they see as theirs.
DONNA SHERMAN, Cape Girardeau