- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Retired Senior Master Sgt. Jimmie W. "Jim" Baker, USAF, 76, of McClure, Ill., died suddenly at 4:10 p.m. Friday, May 29, 2009, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Apr. 18, 1933, in Thebes, Ill., son of Eugene and Elsie Waddell Baker. He and Patty Powless were married Oct. 4, 1952.
Baker was a retired master sergeant in the United States Air Force, serving his country from 1952 to 1975 in Korea, the Phillipines, Vietnam and North Africa. He was a bronze star recipient for his Vietnam service. After retirement from the Air Force, he worked for 18 years as port coordinator for Luhr Brothers in Cape Girardeau. He was a member of Sandy Creek Baptist Church.
Survivors include his wife, Patty, of McClure; a son, Jimmie H. Baker of McClure; a daughter, Cathi (Mike) Burnham of Bossier City, La.; four grandchildren, Bradley Neal Anderson, Brittany Sue Anderson, Jimmie Howard Baker Jr. and Brent Burnham; three great-grandchildren, Payton, Josh and Ashley; a brother, A. G. (Gladys) Baker of Scott City; a sister, Thelma "Sis" (Lloyd) Phillips of McClure; brother-in-law Bill Powless of Tamms, Ill.; daughter-in-law Viola Baker of Cape Girardeau; nieces, nephews and other relatives.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Crain Funeral Home in Tamms.
Funeral services for Senior Master Sgt. Jimmie W. "Jim" Baker will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday, June 3, 2009, at the funeral home, with the Revs. Mark Kirk and Clint Nale officiating. Military honors will follow at the funeral home. Interment will be in McCrite Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to McCrite Cemetery or Sandy Creek Baptist Church.
To leave online condolences, visit www.crainsonline.com.