- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
The Poor People of Paris at Carbondale Jan. 28
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Edward Benyas and the Southern Illinois Symphony Orchestra will present "The Poor People of Paris," at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 28 at the Shryock Auditorium in Carbondale. "The Poor People of Paris" is a quartet that specializes in songs of the French jazz great Edith Piaf. Tickets can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (866) 646-8849 or online at www.ticketmaster. com. Tickets are also available at Schnucks in Cape Girardeau.
Southeast Honors Wind Ensemble cancels concert
The Southeast Missouri State University Honors Wind Ensemble concert originally scheduled for Saturday at Academic Hall has been canceled. The concert will be held at a later date. For more information, contact the department of music at 651-2265.
Debbie Reynolds appears Thursday in Paducah
PADUCAH, Ky. -- Movie star and singer Debbie Reynolds will be appearing at the Luther F. Carson Four Rivers Center in Paducah Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased by calling (270) 450-4444 or online at www.fourriverscenter.org.
Monster trucks invade Show Me Center
The Monster Truck Winternationals will be at the Show Me Center today and Saturday night at 7:30. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The event features some of the top monster trucks in the United States, funny cars and ATV races. For more information, call 651-5000.
A musical salute to King at Westfield Monday
A variety of young local talent will perform musical tributes to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at Westfield Shoppingtown West Park at 4 p.m. on Monday. The program is expected to last 30 to 45 minutes. For more information, contact Debra Mitchell-Braxton at 334-0856.
Quilt workshop for children offered Jan. 22
Paducah, KY. -- THE MUSEUM OF THE AMERICAN QUILTER'S SOCIETY WILL OFFER LITTLE QUILTS, A WORKSHOP FOR CHILDREN AGES 7 TO 12 FROM 9 A.M. TO NOON ON JAN. 22. THE MUSEUM'S CURATOR OF EDUCATION, CARRIE COX, WILL INSTRUCT PARTICIPANTS IN CREATING A NINE-PATCH QUILT JUST THE RIGHT SIZE FOR DOLLS AND STUFFED ANIMALS. THERE IS A REGISTRATION FEE. PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. TO REGISTER OR FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL COX AT (270) 442-8856, EXTENSION 33, OR E-MAIL HER AT CCOX@QUILTMUSEUM. ORG. DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION IS TUESDAY.
Cape library will show free movie Tuesday
The Cape Girardeau Public Library will hold a free showing of the Canadian film "Falling Angels" at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The library cautions the movie is for adult audiences only. Snacks will be provided. For more information, call 334-5279.
Widner Big Band visits Poplar Bluff Feb. 11
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- The Jim Widner Big Band will perform at Three Rivers Community College at 8 p.m. Feb. 11. Widner, who has played with the Stan Kenton, Woody Herman and Glenn Miller orchestras, said his 18-piece band will perform music ranging from modern jazz to traditional jazz and swing to ballads. For tickets or more information, call (573) 840-9170 or toll-free, (877) 879-8722, extension 170.