- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Commerce church refurbished as part of Eagle Scout project
A year of hard work and dedication has made Marcus Painton's Eagle Scout project shine.
Painton chose to refurbish the exterior of St. Paul United Methodist Church in Commerce, Mo. A confirmed member of the church, Painton previously helped his brother, Michael, in an Eagle Scout project to erect a 20-foot cross on a hillside adjacent to the church.
Painton's work included cleaning and painting the church's exterior, caulking and painting window trim, repairing and replacing plexi-glass covers, and installing new outdoor light fixtures.
The gothic revival church, built in 1889, has been spared the flooding problems that have plagued many buildings in this small, river town, so minor touch-ups were all that the building needed to glow.
Painton, the son of Donnie and Rhonda Painton of Painton, Mo., is a Bell City High School sophomore. His grandparents are Bob and Sonnie Michael of Commerce and Shirley Painton of Painton.
He is a member of Boy Scouts of America Troop 23 in Advance. His Eagle Scout court of honor was held at the church in November.