Community digest 1/13/05
Thursday, January 13, 2005
Cape Civil War group meeting Sunday
At 2 p.m. Sunday the Civil War Roundtable will meet at Hanover Lutheran Church, 2949 Perryville Road, Cape Giraradeau. Paul Arnold will speak about the Battle of Champion's Hill. The public is welcome to attend. For more information, call 335-8361.
Discussion series, movie on tap at library
The Cape Girardeau Public Library has set its spring schedule. For more information or to register for an event, call 334-5279. Events include the following dates:
* Tuesday at 7 p.m.: The library will show "Falling Angels," a foreign film based on Scott Smith's book of the same name. The film is in English with an intended adult audience. There is no admission charge and snacks will be provided.
* Feb. 5 from 10 a.m. to noon: Internet training on basic e-mail. There is no charge to participate but registration is required.
The library is also continuing Great Decisions sessions in 2005. To register for the program call 651-2555. All discussions are held from 2 to 4 p.m. A booklet related to the series will be available at the first session for a fee. The following topics have been scheduled:
* Feb. 15: "George Bush, the Second Term: Prospects, Promises, Perils."
* Feb. 22: "U.S. Intelligence"
* March 1: "Reshaping Russia?"
* March 8: "Outsourcing Jobs"
* March 22: "The New China"
* April 5: "Sudan's Crisis in Darfur"
* April 12: "The Global Poverty Gap"
* April 19: "The Middle East"
* May 3: "Global Water Issues"