- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Jerome F. Westrich, 90, of Cape Girardeau died Friday, May 15, 2009, at the Lutheran Home in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Aug. 22, 1918, in New Hamburg, Mo., son of David P. and Clara Klipfel Westrich. He was raised by his maternal grandparents, Frank and Louise Klipfel. He and Ruth E. Joyce were married May 25, 1938, at Guardian Angel Catholic Church in Oran, Mo.
He was a 1936 graduate of Oran High School and served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was a member of St. Mary's Cathedral. He was a 4th Degree with St. Vincent's Council 1111 Knights of Columbus. He was sales manager with Superior Electric in Cape Girardeau more than 30 years, sales manager with Marvin Industry, and sales manager with Oscarware in Cape Girardeau, retiring in 1998.
Survivors include his wife, Ruth Westrich of Cape Girardeau; a son, Larry Westrich and wife Stephanie of Cape Girardeau; four daughters, Glenda Bollinger and husband Ben of Cape Girardeau, Carolyn Vaughn and husband Lt. Gen. Clyde Vaughn of Washington, D.C., Clara Scherer and husband Pat of Portageville, Mo., Vicki Sledge and husband Bob of Centralia, Ill.; and a brother, Jim Westrich of Middletown, Calif.
Westrich is also survived by 17 grandchildren: Sherri and Cliff Simmons, Peggy and Gary Garner, Gerri Bollinger, Carla and Marty Pope, Kristi and Bob Meltvedt, Maj. Chad and Jen Vaughn, Todd Scherer, Nicki Scherer, Travis and Luella Scherer, Danny Scherer, Marci and Ben Ceglinski, Andy Lankheit, David Lankheit, Kaci Westrich, Austin Westrich, Jessica Westrich and Connor Westrich; also 11 great-grandchildren and two on the way.
He was preceded in death by his parents; an infant son, William F. Westrich; a sister, Olivia Schaefer; and a great-granddaughter.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. today at St. Mary's Cathedral, with the Rev. Tom Kiefer and Monsignor Richard Rolwing officiating. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery with full military rites by Missouri Honors Team.
The family requests memorials to St. Louis Children's Hospital or St. Mary's Cathedral Building on Faith Fund.