* Name: Susan Swartwout
* Lives in: Cape Girardeau
* Family: Husband, Jonathan Budil; two sons in Cape, Jeremy Foster and Ben Foster; and one grandson, Cameron.
* Job: Southeast Missouri State University associate professor of creative writing and small-press publishing in the English Department and director of the University Press.
* What do you like most about the area? I can't name just one thing. Green hills and the river, good people, proximity to two metropolitan areas, and Zone 6b gardening.
* Favorite food: Fresh trout and green tea (not in the same dish!)
* Favorite TV show: I'd rather read books and manuscripts.
* Best advice: From my Texas Granny: Don't write anything down that you would hate to see published in the local newspaper.
* People you most admire: There are so many, but at the top of the list: the late Gwendolyn Brooks, my husband, my roadtrip buddy Janet.
* What would you do if you won the lottery? Buy land; help charities and students starting businesses.
* Pet peeve: Do-nothing whiners.