- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Box office surprises win at People's Choice Awards
PASADENA, Calif. -- Two controversial films that defied the odds to earn millions at the box office joined a familiar green ogre to take top honors at the 31st annual People's Choice Awards on Sunday.
The Michael Moore film "Fahrenheit 9/11," which took a critical look at President Bush's actions after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, won the favorite movie award, while Mel Gibson's explicit "The Passion of the Christ" won in the favorite drama category.
Moore dedicated his win to the U.S. troops fighting overseas and said he was "amazed" that people voted his film their favorite.
"I love making movies and I'll take this as an invitation to make more 'Fahrenheit 9/11s,"' Moore said.
The animated "Shrek 2" swept a number of categories, being named favorite comedy, favorite sequel and favorite animated movie.
The character of Donkey in "Shrek 2," voiced by Eddie Murphy, was named favorite animated movie star, while the Fairy Godmother, voiced by Jennifer Saunders, won in the favorite movie villain category.
Perennial favorites took many of the top awards, including many of this year's new categories. Julia Roberts and Johnny Depp won for favorite female and male movie star. Matt LeBlanc and Marg Helgenberger won for favorite male and female TV stars.
"Will & Grace," won for favorite TV comedy. "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" was named favorite TV drama.
After votes cast via the Internet during the first hour of the live telecast were counted, "Joey" was named favorite new TV comedy, while "Desperate Housewives" won for favorite new TV drama.
The People's Choice Awards, hosted by Jason Alexander and Malcolm-Jamal Warner, were presented at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium and broadcast on CBS. The awards covered 38 film, television and music categories, including a number of new ones.
The nominations were determined by editors at Entertainment Weekly, the People's Choice production team and a panel of pop culture fans. Winners were determined by Internet voting.
The complete list of winners:
* Motion picture: "Fahrenheit 9/11"
* Drama motion picture: "The Passion of the Christ"
* Comedy motion picture: "Shrek 2"
* Animated motion picture: "Shrek 2"
* Favorite sequel: "Shrek 2"
* Animated movie star: Donkey in "Shrek 2" (voiced by Eddie Murphy)
* Movie villain: The Fairy Godmother in "Shrek 2" (voiced by Jennifer Saunders)
* Favorite on-screen chemistry: Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler in "50 First Dates"
* Female movie star: Julia Roberts
* Male movie star: Johnny Depp
* Female action movie star: Angelina Jolie
* Male action movie star: Will Smith
* Leading lady: Renee Zellweger
* Leading man: Brad Pitt
* Funny female star: Ellen DeGeneres
* Funny male star: Jim Carrey
* Television drama series: "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"
* Television comedy series: "Will & Grace"
* New television comedy series: "Joey"
* New television drama series: "Desperate Housewives"
* Female television star: Marg Helgenberger
* Male television star: Matt LeBlanc
* Late night talk show host: David Letterman
* Daytime talk show host: Ellen DeGeneres
* Reality show -- competition: "American Idol"
* Reality show -- makeover: "Extreme Makeover Home Edition"
* Reality show -- 24/7: "Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica"
* Crest fans favorite smile: Julia Roberts
* Pantene fans favorite hair: Jennifer Garner
* Cover Girl fans favorite look: Kate Hudson
* Favorite group: U2
* Female singer: Alicia Keys
* Male singer: Usher
* Favorite remake: "The First Cut is the Deepest" by Sheryl Crow
* Favorite combined forces: "Yeah" by Usher/Lil Jon/ Ludacris
* Country group: Brooks & Dunn
* Country female singer: Shania Twain
* Country male singer: Tim McGraw