- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Reunion for Cape's class of 1959 features barn dance
Music legend Elvis Presley rose to fame as a performer on the popular "Louisiana Hayride" radio program in the mid 1950s.
Appropriately, the upcoming Cape Central Class of '59 50-year reunion will feature an old-fashioned barn dance.
The Class of '59 will reunite May 29 and 30. Rock and Judy Wilferth host the barn dance at their Millersville area farm on Friday evening, while Saturday evening's activities will be at the Marquette Tower on Broadway in Cape Girardeau.
"Elvis was very popular among our class," Judy said.
Based on confirmations from classmates, attendance at the reunion is expected to more than double the total from the 45th reunion.
"We're expecting about 75 classmates, plus spouses," said Rock, who began dating future wife Judy Roper during the summer before their senior year.
Decoration of the barn at the Wilferth farm is well underway. A live band will perform at the barn dance and also at the Saturday event.
Judy said technology has made it easier to contact classmates and get the word out about the reunion.
"With e-mail, it's been a lot faster to keep in touch and let everyone know what's going on," Judy said.
For more information about the reunion, contact the Wilferths at 335-3341.