- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Weekend car accident claims life of Puxico man
PUXICO, Mo. -- A Puxico man who was a passenger in a vehicle that crashed on Highway 51 Friday night was pronounced dead at the scene by Stoddard County Coroner Morgan Sifford.
Dead is 54-year-old Tommie J. Bates. Sustaining moderate injuries was the vehicle's driver, 22-year-old Nickolas J. Jackson of Zalma, Mo. He was transported by ambulance to a Cape Girardeau hospital.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, the accident occurred after Jackson lost control of his vehicle as he was southbound on Highway 51 about one mile north of Puxico around 9:15 p.m. Friday. He reportedly ran off the left side of the roadway and struck a tree. Neither of the two were wearing safety devices, the patrol reported.
Debris from the crash struck two vehicles traveling Highway 51 at the time of the wreck. Injury to occupants of those vehicles was not reported.
Bates' death is the 22nd fatality for Troop E in 2009.